Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Nam Khao


I've been meaning to post this recipe up but was afraid to for many reasons.. 
For 1. it is my very first time making this.
2. I researched every possible recipe there is of Nam Khao and almost all were different.
3. I was afraid my friends would starting thinking i'm showing off or something. (yes this is where my insecurities come in affect) Nam_khao
I love this dish! It is the most yummy dish I've done so far this year. After many hours of research and comparison I was able to do it. So I got my brain (the visual part) to start working and I went from there. Yes, that's right baby!!! I'm one of those people who will look at a recipe, read through it and then do it without reading the recipe. I guess adding a little twist of my own. It's just that sometimes the original recipe calls for things I don't have or things I don't like. So I like to do it my own way. Sometimes it turns out alright, and some times not, but hey at least I tried right? ; )
So here's another attempt at a recipe. I have to warn you, this is my own version...there's different versions out there. Some versions have you adding shredded coconut but I didn't add them and it came out fine. Some even have me dipping it into rice powder to hold the balls together so they will stick together when we fry it. But don't take that advice ok? I took it and my balls fell apart on me. That was not a good idea.

Ingredients:
Cooked Jasmine Rice (make sure it is not overly cooked, not too soft, not very hard)
Sugar
MSG (to your preference)
Red Curry Paste
Lime
Salt
Fish Sauce
Peanuts
Green Onions
Cilantro

After you cook your rice and it is ready. Put your rice into a big bowl. How much you put in depends on how much you are making so make sure you do plenty so you have a lot.
Now add some MSG (again add this only if you want too)
Add some Red Curry Paste. I added a pretty big amount of the paste because I love the flavor and I wanted to make sure I have that flavor in my rice. But it's up to you. Some people don't like the flavor as much.
 I also added just a little bit of sugar for some flavor. Maybe 2 or 3 pinches. 
Now that all ingredients are in, mix them together!
When it is mixed put aside for a few minutes. I did that so that it would harden a little bit so it will be easier for me to roll it into a ball. So the rice won't stick to my hands too much.
Ok now comes the fun part!
Roll the rice into little balls, maybe the size of a golf ball? I did mine that size. Some people prefer to make them like little pancake shapes. I tried that but it came out weird, burnt! So I'll stick with rolling them into balls. 
 Ok so once they are rolled into balls, I waited for like another 2 or 3 minutes for the balls to dry up just a little so they would stick together. 
After that you can fry the rice balls until they are golden brown!
Wait a few minutes after you've fried all the rice balls and let them drain a little before you start breaking them!
Ummm yeah because they are HOTTTT!!! Will never make that mistake again! I should have used some common sense huh?
 Ok so once you have all that done, add the Som Moo or Nam! 
For those of you who don't know what it is...go here
Make sure you shred/cut them into small pieces 
Slice up some Cilantro and Green Onions to add to mixture


When you have all the veggies and rice together, add some fish sauce.
Once again you don't have to add it if you don't want to but it adds good flavor to the dish. You can add just a little bit if you'd like. 
Squeeze some Lime juice to it to your taste. 
Add some ground up pea nuts for added flavor!
Now mix all those together! 
And you'll have this! Doesn't that look delicious? Yeah I know, I gave myself a pack on the back! Did great on my first try too! AND without looking at a recipe while doing it! 
Lien and Ming will say "thumbs up"...they loved it! 
Now all you need is some lettuce, use your left over cilantro and green onions (not chopped) to eat it with. Scoop some of the nam khao into lettuce, add cilentro, green onions and dried chili (if you want- i didn't) and wrap it up and viola!!!....
I know I will be making this dish a lot!!!! It's got so much flavor, especially with the red curry paste and lime! You eat it like a lettuce wrap! Ooooooh sooo good! Ok so my mouth is watering right now! 
Sorry about my recipe, it's probably not the best recipe...ever! You can go here for another recipe that i read up on and I kinda used this one to help me out a little.  This is probably an easier one and the most helpful one. 
So another one down....many more to come! So if you are getting bored, let me know and I won't bore you with my silly recipes! The pictures look good though.
Just another one for you to drool over! Don't worry....i'm drooling too!

3 comments:

Emily said...

What do you mean showing off? That looks so good, and have a talent for cooking, don't be insecure! Your recipes intimidate me because they would not look as beautiful as your finished products do, and I would have no idea what I am doing! I think I need to go to your house and have you cook for me :)

Anonymous said...

thx for this recipe been lookin all over for one with pictures..

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! I'm gonna try to make this!! I love this dish!!