Thursday, January 14, 2010

Food


I was looking through pictures on my camera and couldn't resist posting these up. This week I've been feeling a bit...hmmm what would you call it? A bit more domesticated? I have been cooking up a storm. 

Monday I tried to make steam fish. Usually my husband would make the steam fish. I was craving for it. We usually don't get to eat fish. Our kids are allergic to fish so we try not to have it around or eat it too often. So while the kids were in school Monday 1/11/09, I just decided to make the fish myself. I just did it! I made up my own recipe as I go and added whatever I felt like eating. Have to admit it was pretty yummy! Lien even agreed! He told me "now i don't have to make it anymore, you can do it now." Ummm yeah, great! Look what I did! I love for HIM to cook for ME!!



Still steaming! It's not cooked yet. I had parsley, basil and sliced ginger to top it. Mushroom on the side with Chinese mushroom and cellophane noodles on the sides. I rubbed the fish with mashed up peppers, garlic and ginger with a little salt. The fish was stuffed with some left over rub, basil and parsley. And last I added some fish steam sauce bought from the store. I had to make a lot of rub as to make sure it had lots of flavor.
 

My finished product!!! What cha think? Did I do ok? I garneshed it with sliced pieces of green onions and carrots and lemon grass.

Tuesday I decided I wanted dessert! I was looking through my unused Thai cook book and came upon a picture of this agar dessert mix and right that instant I fell in love with it's color and oooh so yummy look! So when the kids came home, we cleaned, got homework done and started on our dessert. Jasmine and Naree helped me while Nilun and Ming looked on. Thanks guys! It was pretty simple, I'm sure we'll be making plenty of those in the near future. We also had the missionaries over that day so they helped us by being "tasters". Nothing like sharing your meal, or in this case, your dessert with the missionaries! LOL!!!


Naree and I putting the agar into our mold. First layer is going in!

 

Jasmine putting on the second layer, which would actually be the bottom layer once it's done. Can you tell she was enjoying it? The mold is from Pat Catans. It is actually soap mold, but hey it did the trick!

 

Look at these two! They were having fun!

 

This is actually the first layer. Coconut agar! The mold is from Target @ 2 sets for $2.50! What a deal huh?



Tada!!!! Isn't it so cute?





Our taster, sister Park! She liked it, she had a few! It was really yummy and so easy to make.

And then this morning, well last night I forgot to make Liens' lunch so after he went to bed, I went out to make him his lunch. Yes! At 1 am! The things we do for our hubbies! I couldn't figure out what to make. So I went with yum seafood, since I had squid and shrimp out. Yum seafood is basically seafood salad. I was kinda of hesitant to make it because it required a lot of preparations and mind you it was 1 am! I had to get a towel and cover Yukis' cage so the light wouldn't bother him. Poor boy!  




My finished product! 
 


Close up! This one wasn't so hard to make either, the preparations was just a little long. Once again, I made up my own recipe. I've seen this many times at our Lao parties and I always wanted to know how to make it. So I just figured, I've seen it many times, I should be able to tell what's in it, so I based my cooking it on just that alone. By appearance! Crazy. Anyways in this dish there is chopped up green onions and cilantro (that is for garnishing). I added sliced onions and jalapeno. In the dish is squid, shrimp, beef tripe and Chinese white mushroom. First I cooked the shrimp, squid, tripe and mushroom. Add all the ingredients together and then I add fish sauce, salt, lime juice, little sugar and tom yum goong sauce and BAM! And you have a delicious yum seafood! 


I realized this is probably the worst recipe explanation ever! I'm horrible at recipes. I will try to be better at that one! 


So while we are on the subject of food. I came upon these delicious desserts and just couldn't keep them to myself. I am definitely checking out this bakery the next chance I get. I've pass this place so many times and never thought to go in and check it out. Now I will have to.

Don't they make your mouth water???
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Here's an address if anyone is ever interested in trying this place out.
Cleveland, OH, 44114
(216) 881-7600


Ok so go ahead and wipe your drools!

 

3 comments:

Marissa said...

I think my mom makes steam fish sometimes for us, I'm not a big fan of it, since it always seems to have a strong fish taste to it. I'm a bigger fan of the more mild fishes like tuna, mahi, and talipia. (Hopefully I spelled it right) The pictures at the end though looks really good, we all know I have a big sweets tooth. :)

Noy said...

The fish was Talipia and no strong fish order though, maybe she's not putting enough sauce or something.

Gaskin Girl said...

I'm super impressed! I have to have a recipe for everything, and you are awesome enough to just make them up!?! That's the coolest thing ever! I really need you to teach me how to make egg rolls. I've heard they're really easy, but I've never done it! The ones you had at your baptism were SO WONDERFUL!

p.s. I love your blog background! So cute!