Monday, January 11, 2010

Cup Cakes at 29!

Yesterday the kids and I made cup cakes...for the FIRST time, with their little cousins! It was a blast watching the kids make it and get all excited about it. They even cleaned my oven just so they could  make it. My oven wasn't cleaned yet, still had some left over grease and I was going to clean it today and have it ready for the kids for after school today to make cup cakes. But they were too anxious to wait. That was fine by me! 
So here's the story. This is my FIRST TIME EVER making cup cakes! Yes it is really! Growing up, our parents didn't have the time to spend with us like that. In fact I don't recall ever doing fun things like that with them. They were always so busy trying to make a living or something else. And besides my parents were brought up in a different way. We hardly ever did anything with our parents. There were a few times our parents took us out to the park or somewhere with a group of their friends family too but it was rarely. They didn't sit around to teach us how to cook or spend time with us making new crafty things and such. In fact the only thing I remember doing with my father as a kid was every Christmas he would take us sisters out to buy a real X-mas tree for Christmas. And we would come home with the tree and he would make a wooden stand for the tree and put it up for us and then we would decorate it. That was probably all we ever got to "spend time" with our dad. He stopped doing that right around I turned 12 or 13. I don't know why exactly, maybe it was us or maybe he just thought we have gotten older now and didn't need to do those things anymore. Who knows. But I cherish those moments even though they were short lived. My parents may not be the most attentive parents but they worked hard to make sure we had food to eat and cloths to wear so I'm thankful for that. Thankful for parents who are so hard working for their kids. Thankful that my parents did everything they could to help provide for us. My mom worked 2 jobs up until I started 7 or 8 grade. Dad did 2 jobs for the first 2 years after we moved to Idaho from California and then after that he found a nice job that gave him a better pay (at that time it was, now probably not) and stability! So anything to do with school, you know it, our parents weren't there. Not because they didn't want to but they couldn't. Conference with teachers? No not that either. I'm not resentful either, I know the sacrafices they had to make. That's why I want to spend as much time as I can with my kids and do things with them as much as I can. I missed not having those moments with mom and dad. I think that's why now, although I love my parents dearly, we are not as close as I'd love it to be. But I still give mom a hug and tell her I love her as much as i can. I want my kids to grow up and know that we will always be there for them, and if at times we can't then I'd also want them to know and understand why we can't. My childhood wasn't perfect but it was as good as it gets I guess. I'm here aren't I? I'm doing just fine right? So it wasn't that bad...it just didn't have much wonderful memories to share, just a lot of memories of struggles and trails..but we won't go into that. It's not meant to be a sob or sympathy post.
So my post says "Cup cakes at 29"! It's titled that because it has taken me 29 yrs to make a single cup cake. Now for some people that might sound ridiculous but to me it's a victory!...so to speak! It shouldn't have taken that long, not like there were obstacles on my way but I was so use to living that kind of life like my childhood that I got use to it and didn't think of anything at all. I'm so glad I started thinking about things. I finally realized that I needed to change, I needed to change the course of history for my kids or they'll end up doing the same thing I did, because I was doing the same thing my parents were doing. So no more! It's not what I want my kids to grow up like. Well it's not all that bad, I do do things with them and take them on outings and such, I've moved past my parents a little but I hoping to be better...well not great great, but more open minded and thoughtful of my kids. I want to be close to my kids. 
So anyways I'm glad we made cup cakes last night, it was fun and even more fun eating it. It was yummy! Next we will tackle cake..at least we'll attempt to! Lets hope it doesn't take me another week or so to do that!




Tada!!! My master piece..I don't like frosting that much so I didn't put too much on.

 


This is Cookies cup cake! By the time she finished, she had chocolate all over her mouth! She attempted to help with the cleaning but my oven is only as big as any oven is so she didn't get to do much. Plus they were saying she was on their way so we had her just wipe the window of the oven! But it was a nice help!

 


Jasmine and her creation! She also did a great job cleaning my oven! Thanks Jasmine! I will remember to bribe you more often with food to clean for me!

 


Naree and her cup cake. She also helped with the cleaning so thank you!

 


Nilun and cup cake. He has already started on his, he couldn't wait!!! He helped organize the cleaning...meaning he "supervised" the cleaning!




Carma! She just loved it, I think she had two! She also helped, what a nice little helper she was!


No comments: