Monday, September 27, 2010

Cannery

Last week I went to the cannery with a few friends from my ward. I've never been to the cannery, I have only heard of it so when my friend asked if I wanted to go I took the opportunity to say yes. I really wanted to see how it all works. I'm curious...i'm a monkey!
I'm so glad that I decided to go. It was a great experience for me to go and help out in some way. Even if it's just to can a few things, i felt like i've contributed to society.....even if it didn't seem like it.
I also had the chance to see the 'bishop store'. How wonderful is that? A place to store food for families that need it? And all out of the our pockets because we want to help. I'm so glad that we have something like this going on here right in our back yard. I see commercials all the time about donating or giving money....but to be honest i wonder how truthful and honest that is? I mean seriously I'd love to help, but how do i know that that money is going where it's suppose to go? How? I've heard way too many stories that the money isn't necessarily going to the children/s.
At least with this 'bishop store' I know where that money is going. And I'm so grateful that we get the opportunity to provide this when we get the chance. I'm so grateful for the volunteers that are there every day filling orders. People helping people in need! What better way to live. I hope I can be a good example like these volunteers...I hope to do more for society and help. I will try to do the best I can. I don't have much but I can help.

Being at the cannery has opened up my eyes a bit. I see things in a better light, i guess you can say. I'm sure I'm mumbling here, but it's how i felt just being there. Knowing that i've helped in some way to get food to my ward families! And that's a good feeling no matter who you are.
rice


this machine was awesome. I loved working it. It's a machine that closes shut the lids.


pouring in the wheat




I know that this might seem a small thing to most people and it probably is. But to me it was a big step/milestone for me. I've always wanted to be able to get out of my comfort zone and help others or just at least be helpful in a way. And this was an opportunity for me to do just that. It may just seem like an every day thing to some and not a big deal. But for me it was everything. I'm so grateful and thankful that I got this chance to be involved. Even if it's just canning hot chocolate.....and it smelled so good!

3 comments:

Rochelle said...

It's neat, huh? I remember going to the cannery with my mom when we still lived in Utah. The church is amazing. I loved it when it was time to can the hot cocoa! :)

Emily said...

I am glad you were able to help, that is a big step especially when you are kind of shy (like me). You never gave me that address, did you change your mind? I did respond back to your message on FB, so hopefully you got it. I would be more than happy to help you out with missionaries here, just let me know :)

Petiteélégant said...

It's such a wonderful thing to do. Every little help counts!